Monday, July 13, 2009

Journal number one

Journal
Amy Anderson

I really enjoyed reading the article on adolescents and brain development and risk taking. My oldest son will be 13 this summer and I can already see where he takes risks that his younger sisters don’t or his dad seems cautious about. Reading this article provoked a feeling of fear within me for my son. He loves to bmx (bike riding), and wants to go over these great big jumps and do all sorts of stunts. I watch him ride down the road on his pegs, no handed, and I am so nervous. I am worried that he will fall and knock out his teeth, or break his head, or worse. He on the other hand, thinks he is invincible and will never get hurt. It is scary to think that nothing but growing up helps that part of our brain to develop. I also thought the article on how parenting styles influence temperament was interesting as well. My husband definitely parents in the authoritarian style and when my children interact with each other, I can see them mimic the way my husband talks to them. On the other hand, I see different temperaments in them that I would like to think that I contributed. I try to be giving and helpful, and I can see that in my children. It was a very interesting article to read and it gave me a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment