Monday, July 13, 2009

Journal number 2

Journal
Amy Anderson
When I read all the things on the risk factors for juvenile delinquency, I was a little discouraged and scared at the same time. My son seems to have more than one of the risk factors and that scares me. I don’t know what else I can do to prevent delinquency from happening. I already try to provide a stable home environment. He knows he can come to me to talk about anything. I have him in counseling to deal with the issues he is already facing. I think what I said in my discussion board wraps it up quite nicely for me; “I have a son who will be 13 in less than a month and I can see he has some risk factors for delinquency as well. That scares the crap out of me. It seems most of those factors are out of a child’s hands. There is nothing they can do to prevent them.
I think it's good for parents and children to be aware of the risk factors, but on the other hand I think it could provoke a feeling of hopelessness for their child’s future. That is kind of how I feel about things with my son. He has all these risks already, I don't know how I can do anything to stop what might already be inevitable.”
I thought the article on truancy was interesting. I liked how they didn’t just give all statistics of the problem, but also solutions as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment